ross

Click here for the full written transcript of this podcast  episode.

March 27, 2013 free podcast: What’s wrong with the China Study? Also: is greek yogurt healthier than regular yoghurt, what can you do about nervous system failure, the best natural supplements to control pain, what is EvoAthelete, and does marijuana increase exercise performance? This is a big one, folks… (that’s what she said!)

Have a podcast question for Ben? Click the tab on the right side of this page, call 1-877-209-9439, Skype “pacificfit” or (if you hate the sound of your own voice) scroll down to the “Ask Ben” form. Please don’t forget to give the podcast a comment/ranking in iTunes – it only takes a minute and it helps grow our healthy and fit community!
—————————————————–

News Flashes:

To get these and other interesting news flashes every week, follow Ben on Twitter.com/BenGreenfield, Facebook.com/BGFitness and Google+.

—————————————————–

Special Announcements:

Get 36 Blood Tests via Talking20 - and a 10% discount with code BENTEST

Get Ben’s brand new “Essential Guide To Becoming Superhuman” at superhumancoach.com

Lean Lifestyle Insider - For the past several weeks, one of my friends (Abel James Bascom AKA the “Fat Burning Man”) and I have been filming all the daily tips, tricks and tools we use to achieve maximum fat loss, lean muscle and optimized health and performance.

Upcoming Inner Circle webinars - go to BenGreenfieldFitness.com/innercircle to get access:
- April 6, Saturday, 6pm PST: “How To Raise Superhuman Kids”
- April 27, Saturday, 6pm PST: “Ask Ben Anything About Minimalist Triathlon Training”

Call in and leave your “low carb” question for our Jimmy Moore episode - by using the “Ask Ben A Question” option on right side of page or calling toll-free to 1-877-209-9439 and leaving a pre-recorded message.

Help us out by completing this survey - please, we need 250 responses!

Get featured on the podcast by creating your own MyList - here’s what to do (did I mention that it’s free?):

1. Create your own “MyList” list that targets your passion in health, fitness or nutrition (gear, tools, supplements or anything else),
  2. Share your MyList right here by leaving a link to it in the comments section at the bottom of the page,
  3. I’ll choose the best list, and contact you for an interview about why you chose the items on your list.

—————————————————–

Listener Q&A:A donate button that reads - keep the podcasts coming

As compiled, edited and sometimes read by Brock, the Ben Greenfield Fitness Podcast “sidekick”.

Kamil says @ 00:24:55
He read The China Study and is confused about whether he should stop eating meat or not.

~ In my response I mention this Raw Food SOS article.

Bill asks @ 00:37:22
Why is Greek yogurt better than regular yogurt? Is it made with different milk? If not, wouldn’t it cause the same intestinal leakage, gastric distress and inflammation?

~ In my response, I mention Episode #212 What Kind Of Yogurt Is Best?

Steve asks @ 00:47:34
He drummed for 121 hour straight (breaking a Guinness World Record) to raise money for cancer research. During the session he subluxated 4 ribs and had a seizure (around hour 116) when his core temp plummeted. It is a year later and he still has fatigue and strange symptoms (he can’t get his heart rate over 120 on the bike), can you help him figure out why and what he should do about it?

~ In my response, I recommend Tian Chi and trace minerals.

JD says @ 01:00:00
During a recent surgery, while making an incision in his back, his right lower thoracic nerve was cut. He is now in a great deal of pain everyday. He’d like to know if there is any other treatment for it, other than the neurontinhe has been prescribed.

~ In my recommendation for pain management to JD, I recommend: A whole food antioxidant that includes vitamin B, D, E and wild plant derivatives, such as LifeShotz. High omega 3 fatty acids and GLA intake, including borage oil, Natural painkillers from something like phenocane, High magnesium intake, A zinc supplement, and Glutathione.

Kyle asks @ 01:10:08
He listened to the podcast with Jay Schroeder of EvoAthlete and got confused. He would like you to explain how some of Jay’s techniques could be incorporated into training.

~ In my response to Kyle, I reference my current training protocol at bengreenfieldtri.blogspot.com

Anonymous asks @ 01:23:41
Wonders what your thoughts are on smoking marijuana and its effects on endurance sports (he is primarily a marathon runner).

Prior to asking your question, do a search in upper right hand corner of this website for the keywords associated with your question. Many of the questions we receive have already been answered here at Ben Greenfield Fitness!

====================================== ======================================

21 Responses to “#235: What Is Wrong With The China Study, Is Greek Yogurt Healthier Than Regular Yogurt, Can Marijuana Help Performance And More!”

1. Lance says:

Forks Over Knives is a documentary film joined later by a companion book and cookbook. The film explains the research of Dr. Campbell and Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, as well as following various patients, including the filmmaker himself. Dr. Campbell did not write either book or film, although he is profiled extensively in both. He does have a new book coming out later this year.

2. Cameron says:

I found your discussion on the China study really interesting. I'm a vegetarian for environmental reasons but I found the Forks Over Knives movie pretty compelling. I thought it might be helpful to point out that chlorophyll and chlorophillin have been shown to prevent mutagenesis and in particular they have been shown to be able to bind to pro-carcinogens such as aflatoxin. I wonder if T. Cambell controlled for chlorophyll in the soy and wheat protein that he fed the rats he studied. I wouldn't expect there to be much judging from my experience with tofu and seitan. I thought this might be a useful perspective to add to the discussion. http://www.news-medical.net/news/20091230/Chlorop

3. Kevin Hansen says:

Lots of good stuff on this website (Plant Positive) – and one or two videos dedicated to examining the Minger attempts to make an argument refuting The China Study.

I also would like to commend Brock for admitting that two guys were faster than him in a road race. He didn't have to do that! Honest guy!!!

• Kevin…I'm not familiar with this site, but I'll check it out!

• kem says:

Denise is very gentle to Campbell whilst dismantling his "China Study". Matt Lalonde (on your mate Abel James' "Fat Burning Man" show) was not so kind to him.

That said, I raise cattle for environmental reasons, as disclaimer. We are sequestering carbon as we speak, as well as supplying incredibly tasty protein from cattle raised on the best pasture species we can grow, with their help, of couse. We also like to think cattle can (should) be raised (and killed) with the the same animal welfare standards we accord them.

• Kevin Hansen says:

In the interest of full disclosure I found out about Plant Positive on the Doctor McDougall site – Vegan guy famous for writing The Starch Solution. However, I've found the videos on Plant Positive to be well put together. He's got a range of videos that provide an argument against people such as Taubes, Minger, and folks that like to trot out Eskimos as an example of a people that eats healthy.

4. Zach says:

Re: Greek Yogurt, what do you think about the Fage brand?

5. Pam says:

For Greek Yogurts … Nancy's Organic Probiotic Greek, plain flavor, fabulous. Nice tart flavor, and extremely thick. High in protein, fairly low in carbs. This one is also mentioned in the book -Rich Food, Poor Food.

Nancy's is out of Eugene, OR, so not sure how far their distribution goes.

6. I'm a little late to the party but thank you for your information about the China Study. I read it some time back and was on the vegan bandwagon for almost a year. I have since drifted from it since it was difficult to live with a divided kitchen and such. Since then I have swung over to the Paleo camp since it really seems to make much more sense to me. I really appreciate all of the balanced information that you bring on a weekly basis. You really work hard at it.

7. Pam says:

Ben,

Regarding that caffeine near the end of your daily 12-hour fast, would it be detrimental to fat burning to have that combined with some almond milk? (Half cup plain, unsweetened almond milk with 1.5 cups green tea.)

Have you heard of guayusa tea? Same amount of caffeine as coffee, and twice the antioxidants of green tea, and L-theanine for positive emotional state. http://www.medicinehunter.com/guayusa

8. Brett says:

You forgot to mention the effects of marijuana on testosterone
    . http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Testosterone_Mari….

You can read the research or you can hang around some male potheads and you can see that their tesosterone levels are very low.

Good podcast

9. Lou says:

Just read this about Greek yogurt. I have never heard Ben mention this. Ben, is this true and is it an issue? http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/05

10. […] But let’s address Katy’s question. Now, Katy, first of all, you should go listen to podcast number 235 where we talked about healing nerves and rebuilding nerves because I get into that in detail. We […]