Dec 19, 2012 free podcast: What Is The Best Way To Track Heart Rate Variability (HRV)? Also: what is glutathione, the least amount of exercise necessary for good health, how to minimize stress from travel, how and when to swim with a snorkel, how to deal with a foot neuroma, and how antacids and ADHD medications affect exercise.
Have a podcast question for Ben? Click the tab on the right side of this page, call 1-877-209-9439, Skype “pacificfit” or scroll down to the “Ask Ben” form.
Please don’t forget to leave the podcast a ranking in iTunes – it only takes a minute of your time and it helps grow our healthy community!
- Yummy: brominated vegetable oil in sports drinks.
- Short guide to whole body vibration for better running: 10×30-60 seconds, knees bent at 120 degrees.
- Risks of ibuprofen use when combined with endurance exercise have been proven once again. For more details on the ibuprofen exercise risks, check out the article “Should You Combine ibuprofen and Exercise?“. Also, this is Ben’s recommended ibuprofen alternative – Phenocane.
Want to get featured on an exclusive 15 minute feature in the next BenGreenfieldFitness podcast?
That’s right – I’ll personally call you and interview you to tell YOUR story for the podcast. Here’s how:
- Step 1: Create your own “MyList” list that targets your passion in health, fitness or nutrition (gear, tools, supplements or anything else),
- Step 2: Share your MyList right here by leaving a link to it in the comments,
- Step 3: I’ll choose the best list, and get you on for an interview about why you chose the items on your list.
OK, get MyListing away! Here’s the link to add MyList to your page or profile (did I mention – it’s free).
“Become Superhuman” Live Event With Ben Greenfield Coming To Spokane, WA, March 8 & 9, 2013 – Click here to get in now. The video below tells you all about it and/or you can listen to this audio interview from the Wide World Of Health to learn more.
New camps announced:
- February 22 to 28, 2013: Winter Triathlon Camp in Austin.
- March 2-8: Winter Triathlon Camp in Florida.
- Week of March 17: Wildflower camp – details TBA
- Vietnam Trip: April 14 – details TBA – “The Laguna Lang Co Triathlon aims to build on the success of its sister event, the legendary Laguna Phuket Triathlon. The triathlon will be comprised of a 1.8k Swim, 62k Bike and 12k Run. A triathlon Team Relay, a Duathlon and a Fun Run will round off the event program.” Register for the race.
- Ben’s Annual Trip to Thailand: Nov-Dec 2013 – details TBA, but e-mail [email protected] if you want in because it will fill fast.
Ben’s brand new Low Carbohydrate Diet For Athletes package – is officially released and available for download!
If you like podcasts, you’ll love Audio Books! - Go to www.audiblepodcast.com/ben and sign up to claim your very own free audio book from Audible.
As compiled, edited and sometimes read by Brock, the Ben Greenfield Fitness Podcast “sidekick”.
Audio Question from Annie @ 00:18:44
Wants to learn more about glutathione. Will it protect the brain if it is taken by IV before and after surgery?
Audio Question from Debbie @ 00:29:33
Wants to know what the least amount of time is that she needs to workout to maintain a good level of fitness and health. She doesn’t race or compete and also doesn’t have a lot of extra time in her day. She is currently following Ben’s “Shape 21” workout program.
Craig asks @ 00:40:45
I have both an EmWave 2 and an iThlete. How do you use your EmWave to help you determine whether or not you are overtraining? I use the iThlete for this purpose but it sounds like you prefer the EmWave 2. Also, I travel nearly every week and find it stressful. A friend asked me “why is it stressful?” I wasn’t sure how to respond. In your opinion, why is travel stressful and what can you do to mitigate this?
~ Craig is referring to this emWave2. In my response to Craig I recommend SweetBeat HRV monitoring, for which you need: phone app, chest strap, and ant+ adapter. I also recommend the Stress Check app from Azumio.
Kathy wrote @ 00:52:46
Ben, I heard you mention that you’ve been swimming with a snorkel after a podcast guest said he uses one for training. I was in a bike accident not too long ago and fractured a couple of vertebrae. I get a little achy from the twisting motion of breathing while swimming, so lately, I’ve been doing most of my swimming with a snorkel. I have noticed I have more feel for body position. But I’ve also found that I’m slower by 5 sec/100m, which I find surprising. Perhaps I’m not rotating enough, since I’m not breathing to the side? Any thoughts on that or additional advice on training with a snorkel?
~ In my response to Kathy, I mention this Finis snorkel.
Tricia asks @ 00:57:28
I have neuromas in both of my feet that only bother me when I run. I have been seeing a podiatrist for about 4 months and have been getting a series of “alcohol” based shots. I also have custom orthotics for my running shoes. I have had some improvement from the shots but still have some discomfort. Surgery is my next option and I wanted to know your thoughts on neuroma surgery and recovery and if I could do both feet at once?
~ In my response to Tricia, I mention metatarsal buttons, metatarsal pads, and orthotics.
Jim wrote @ 01:02:16
Hey, could you talk about in an upcoming podcast about what the prescriptions Prilosec (omeprazole) for acid reflux and Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate) for ADHD do to athletes? I am mainly a road bicycle racer, but do a duathlon and triathlon every so often.
– 2 to 4 scoops CapraColostrum per day
– 4 to 6 drops oil of oregano per day, 1-3x/day
– Hydrochloric acid – start at 1 and work up to 5-7x650mg/day. Recommend NOW Foods Betaine HCL.
– If H. Pylori, include 2-3 capsules mastic gum per day. Recommend Jarrow Formulas Mastic Gum.
– Bitters. Recommend Floradix Herbal Bitters, 1-2 servings daily.
Regarding ADHD, I also mention some of my recommended brain supplements, including these Brain (supplements):
– 1 TianChi per day (Chinese Adaptogenic Herb complex) on empty stomach
– 2 to 6g/day triglyceride based fish oil – recommend SuperEssentials
– Acetyl-L-carnitine – 500mg, 1x/day – recommend 1-2 servings “NutraRev” per day
– Alpha-lipoic-acid, 100mg, 1x/day - recommend 1-2 servings “NutraRev” per day
– For depression/lack of motivation – 3000mg Tyrosine + 300mg 5-HTP
It is HIGHLY recommended that you do neurotransmitter testing before experimenting with these particular supplements, but for neurotransmitter balance (behavioral issues, depression, etc.), you can start with 4 NeuroReplete (to balance catecholamines and increase serotonin), twice daily (in the AM and at 4 PM) with 2 CysReplete (for L-Cysteine to increase catecholamine synthesis or when using D-5 Mucuna), three times daily (the first dose at noon). Read the Kalish Method book or talk to Ben before experimenting too much with this stuff.